Requirements for Licensed Applicants
- Eligibility: Applicants must hold or be qualified to hold at least the "A" certificate issued by the State Department of Public Instruction, Raleigh, North Carolina. The "A" certificate must be based upon at least a Bachelors' degree in education.
- Licensure: Applicants are responsible for obtaining a North Carolina teacher's license and filing it with Human Resource Services. Applicants still in teacher training should check with their college education department concerning licensure. Out-of-state applicants should contact the Division of Teacher Licensure, State Department of Public Instruction, 301 North Wilmington St., Raleigh, North Carolina 27611, regarding licensure to teach in the area of the application.
- Transcripts: You should request your college or university send a copy of your transcript to Human Resource Services. Both undergraduate and graduate transcripts are desired. Beginning teachers should file a supplemental transcript after requirements for the degree are met.
- References: Your application should include the name, position, complete mailing address, and work and home telephone numbers of at least three references, such as principals and supervisors, who have first hand knowledge of your professional preparation and competence. References such as relatives are not acceptable.
- Application packet: Your application packet, when complete will contain the following:
- A completed application
- A copy of your teacher's license
- A copy of your NTE, PRAXIS, or other state required test scores
- A copy of your final, dated-degree college transcripts
Requirements for Classified Applicants
Teacher Assistant - To be eligible for an instructional teacher assistant position, an applicant must have completed a minimum of 48 semester hours of college level credits or a 2-year degree OR Met a rigorous standard of quality and be able to demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics (or, as appropriate, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness).
Note: This option may be met through the WorkKeys Occupational Profile Assessment for Teacher Assistants.
Office Support - Certain office support/secretarial positions may require a minimum number of college level courses. The number required differs for different levels.
Maintenance & Transportation - Many maintenance and transportation positions require specific license for certain aspects of their position (ex: Pesticide license, electrical license, CDL, etc.)
Attachments should be uploaded during the application process.